Twisted Orbit is a dynamic duo formed by Bags and Valentina.
1. Tell us your roots - where were you born and raised? Los Angeles
2. Why hooping? How did the journey begin? Hooping for me was a natural extension of the belly dance practice I had done since the age of 12. After graduating college, I went to Burning Man and came home deciding that I would like to spin fire one day. About a month or so later I went to the San Diego Burning Man Decompression and met HoopCharmer, who had an LED hoop with her on the dance floor. I tried it and was instantly hooked! I literally spent the whole next day hooping with hoops I borrowed. I went home, ordered a hoop and was obsessed. I would spend 5 hours or more a day trying to figure it out. That was when there weren't many (or very good) tutorials online and no one teaching formal hoop classes either. Within a year I was teaching, making hoops and performing. It seemed like what I was meant to do with my life and I still feel that way.
3. What has the hoop taught you about life? Hooping has taught me that anything is possible. As I started to hoop, I would look at videos and see tricks that I thought I would never be able to do. Literally thinking, "I could never do that." Now - 8 years later I have mastered many of those tricks. I also felt the same way about Aerial arts but because of hooping, I had the confidence to try it and spent years training Lyra, which I eventually performed and taught. I have learned to juggle, which was another one of those things I thought I couldn't do. Hooping is directly connected to my bravery in trying new things, sticking with them and eventually being able to do them! I have discovered my place on this earth, which includes to be a hoop juggler! Who would have thought?!
4. What's next? How is your hoop life evolving? I have some goals for 2016 involving tricks I would love to master...there is always more to learn! I want to continue to hone in on my partnership with Bags, both in performance and teaching. I plan to eventually open a hoop/dance/yoga/circus training space in San Diego. I also want to continue to travel performing and teaching around the world.
5. What aspect of the hoop community do you value the most and what do you hope to contribute to the future of hooping? I value the community's constant source of inspiration and sharing of knowledge. There will always be someone completely rocking it! Giving me the fuel to keep working hard on my hooping practice. Skill share, openness of information and opportunities to grow are abundant in our beautiful community. I can't wait to see where we all go!